We are proud to be Canberra’s leading DanceSport studio with competitors of all ages hitting the floor across the country and soon the international stage.
It’s easy to begin, fun and requires minimal commitment to start – but that may change as you grow!
We teach couples from upwards of 7 to 70 years old.
Watch these videos to see two of the best Latin American and Ballroom dancers in the world.
It’s a great sport to start and who knows – you could even end up as a future champion.
“DanceSport is what used to be referred to as competitive Ballroom Dancing. This glamorous and exciting leisure activity has been renamed to suit its modern image as a demanding sport.
Its characteristics consist of physical strength, agility, co-ordination, stamina, high level of fitness, discipline, teamwork, grace, style and musical interpretation. It is now recognised by the International Olympic Committee as a sport and is expected to eventually be included in the Olympic program. It was featured in the closing ceremony of the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games. DanceSport provides opportunity for developing athletic discipline of body and mind and as well as artistic creativity through musical interpretation, costume design and choreographic programming.
There are a few pathways in DanceSport… The major one being Competitive, another is for the Medalist dancer or if you just want to have fun, then there is the Social side as well, where most dancers are introduced into the sport. Many see dancing as being an artistic expression of oneself, and not just a physical sport. However whatever the case may be, whether you are interested in medals, or want to be challenged to a higher level in the competitive field, you can rest assured that everyone should at one point in their lives experience the joy to dance. Many find that once they do they wished they had started earlier in their lives. Following this introduction is an explanation of what dancesport can do for you, please read and enjoy!”
DanceSport is for some, a very competitive sport but for others it can be a wonderful way to participate in social dancing. People as young as 4 years, or as mature as 90 years, can enjoy this wonderful pastime. To dance is a natural human activity, and also with it, comes many advantages, which are:
- Thorough but gentle way to exercise your body without knowing it.
- Develop co-ordination of mind and muscle.
- Encourages good poise, irrespective of age.
- Develops good muscle tone and gives a person that “wonderful feeling of being alive”.
- Teaches participants the social graces.
- Helps to keep you youthful with an up to date spontaneity.
- Is one of the few hobbies that couples or friends can do together.
- Is a great social asset in developing skills of communication.
- Promotes confidence, self-assurance and awareness of life.
- Develops artistic creativity and musical interpretation.
- The competitive dancer’s opportunity to dress up and feel “special”.
- Is the most rewarding way to spend your leisure time.
- The best and easiest way to meet someone your are interested in.
- And best of all instigates great friendships that can last a lifetime.
Copyright D S W A